Carrots and Rutabagas with Lemon and Honey
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Lemon juice adds refreshing flavor to earthy root vegetables.
- 1 1/4 pounds rutabagas, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
Cook rutabagas in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Add carrots and cook until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Drain.
Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add lemon juice, honey, and peel. Bring to boil. Add vegetables; cook until glazed, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Mix in fresh chives.
You can try all kinds of variations on this recipe by making changes like: orange juice instead of lemon juice (reduce the honey since orange juice can be pretty sweet), try maple syrup instead of honey and grated fresh ginger can make a zippy change from using citrus zests.