Pickles, Pickles, Pickles


This weekend I added to my preserved collection by making pickles. This was my first time making pickles and it ended up being a lot of fun! I found a recipe through a friend that she swore by and decided to use it. It called for fresh dill, garlic, pickling cucumbers, water, pickling salt and vinegar, couldn't have been simpler. I bought the large canning jars to make sure I could fit in as many cucumbers as possible. Then I bought my pickling cucumbers at the downtown farmers' market. There really isn't much to making pickles; you need your ingredients, to scrub and soak the cucumbers in cold water over night, to sanitize your jars and then you basically add the ingredients together and into a jar. I did have a few problems with some of my jars not sealing so I had to re-heat the liquid and add it back into the jar but I think I just wasn't carful enough and let some of the liquid drop onto the rim of the jar. You need to be very carful when sealing I learned, it doesn't take much to stop a jar from sealing. All in all, I made 12 jars of pickles which should be ready in about 4-6 weeks and I can't wait to taste the fruits of my labour!

No comments: