Preserving my Peas and Strawberries


This year I have decided to preserve a bit of food as my own little experiment. My plan is to freeze peas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and can pickles. On the weekend I went to Lindley’s farm to pick my strawberries. I picked two baskets then cleaned them, hulled them, and put them into my Ziploc bags and into my freezer. I ended up with 6 large bags of strawberries in my freezer! I’m hoping that will last for the winter. For peas, I bought a large basket at the Ottawa Street farmers market and then hulled them, blanched them for 90 seconds and then put them in a Ziploc bag and into my freezer. I think I will do one more bag of peas this week. Freezing the berries and peas was very easy. It did not take much effort or skill at all. The strawberries took a long time to clean and hull I will admit but it’s definitely worth it. I’m really looking forward to having some fresh peas and strawberries as a treat this winter, how about you? Next up for me is picking raspberries and blueberries once they come in season.

No comments: